Location: 2100 Clarendon Blvd., Arlington, VA
Arlington County is looking for a well-rounded, human resources professional to join our award-winning Human Resources Department as a Compensation and Classification Analyst. The successful candidate will join a team of professional analysts who provide consultation and technical guidance regarding compensation and classification matters to all levels of employees in the County Government. The position will support multiple agencies, developing and maintaining close working relationships with management, employees, and human resources liaisons to build an understanding of their operations and to develop effective compensation and classification solutions.
This Analyst will conduct job audits and salary analyses to determine appropriate classification decisions; manage projects; compile and evaluate complex data, prepare reports, develop presentations; provide training and follow-up to ensure successful implementation of new initiatives; and work as a team with other analysts to complete county-wide studies. Although primarily focused on compensation, this position also offers opportunities to work on cross-functional and departmental teams, and to contribute to critical efforts such as selection and test development for public safety assessment centers.
Other duties include:
- writing and updating job descriptions based upon desk audit, job analysis questionnaire, and market information and determining exemption status;
- conducting compensation and salary surveys, analyzing market data to determine and maintain the County's competitive position;
- developing, implementing and maintaining compensation programs, policies and procedures;
- conducting organizational design studies, and managing HR related projects;
- using Microsoft Office products to include Excel, Power Point, and Access to translate data into diagrams, graphs or presentations for sharing with a variety of audiences;
- running queries on ORACLE based HR data system to extract employee, compensation and other HR information;
- performing job analyses to identify critical competencies for selection including public safety test development; and,
- maintaining a knowledge of federal and state legislation including FLSA that might affect compensation and classification policies.
Successful candidates for this position will possess the ability to communicate with all levels of employees regarding critical and sensitive compensation and classification matters; embrace opportunities to build strong partnerships with agencies; approach classification and compensation challenges as opportunities for creative problem solving; contribute to promoting a total reward philosophy; and explore compensation issues by listening and collaborating to identify innovative solutions.
NOTE: This position may be filled as a full-time position or on a part-time basis and may be filled at any level within the established broad band depending on qualifications. The pay band above encompasses entry through senior-level work.
Minimum: Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Public or Business Administration, Industrial/Organizational Psychology or related field plus significant experience in job evaluation, job and organizational design, and/or compensation or other closely-related human resource functions.
Substitution: Significant experience in a directly related field may substitute for the Bachelor's degree requirement. A Master's degree in I/O Psychology or Human Resources Administration or closely related field with a related internship or practicum may substitute for some of the experience requirement.
The preferred candidate will have one or more of the following:
- experience analyzing a wide variety of jobs (Executive, Management, Professional, Administrative, Trades etc.), preferably for job evaluation and classification purposes;
- experience in a wide variety of compensation areas including the interpretation and application of FLSA regulations; the analysis of compensation statistics and the development of compensation policy to resolve pay issues;
- advanced Excel and PowerPoint skills that include developing complex spreadsheets and presentations and preparing, documenting and presenting complex narrative and statistical analytical reports
- experience in other HR disciplines including organizational analysis and work redesign, recruitment, and/or benefits; and/or
- a CCP, SPHR or other compensation-related certification.
Preferred filing date: Applications submitted by the preferred filing date of Monday, February 12, 2018 will be given first consideration for interviews. Applications received after the preferred filing date may be considered for interviews if a hire is not made from applications received by the preferred filing date. The application process will close when the position has been filled or when sufficient number of qualified applications have been received.
Work hours are flexible but are generally, Monday through Friday between the hours of 7 am and 5 pm. A flexible work schedule and telecommuting are available.
This position is part of a broad band, competency-based pay pilot, and may be filled at any level, including the entry level, within the established broad band depending on qualifications. Entry salary within the band is based on a review of qualifications and experience with preference given to applicants with course work and internships related to job evaluation and/or testing/selection. The pay band above encompasses entry through senior-level work. Pay potential will be based on performance and employee development.
Please complete each section of the application. A resume may be attached, however, it will not substitute for a completed application. Your responses to the supplemental questionnaire are required for this position.
All applicants must submit an online application (unless the job announcement states otherwise) for each position for which they wish to apply. The application must be submitted by the posted deadline.
To apply online go to https://careers.arlingtonva.us/, click on Apply Now, scroll down the alphabetical list of job titles and click on the one in which you have an interest. The link to the employment application (APPLY) is found on each job announcement. Once completed, your application information remains in the system for you to review, edit and submit for future Arlington job openings.
Applicants who have questions or need assistance with the application may telephone (703) 228-3500 or visit the Human Resources Department. Our staff will be happy to work with you to get your application into the system. Public access computers are available at all County Libraries, and in the Human Resources Department.
The examination for this position may include one or more of the following: (1) evaluation of training and experience; (2) written and oral examination; (3) performance test; (4) personal interview; and (5) physical examination.
Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation during the application or selection process. Please call the ADA Coordinator at 703-228-3559 (voice) or email email@example.com.
HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT,
2100 Clarendon Blvd, Suite 511, Arlington, VA 22201
Call 703-228-3500 from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm, weekdays; or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org (no resumes to this e-mail address, please)