American Nurses Association
Location: Silver Spring, MD
TO APPLY: Apply online or email email@example.com
JOB SUMMARYKey technical expert, accountable for exam performance and psychometrics, resolution of data issues, and research addressing ANCC strategic goals. Leads efforts and provides consultation for MS staff to resolve data problems and establish data quality standards; develops presentations and publications for departments, Board of Directors, Commission on Certification, and other stakeholders; and proposes resources to support MS research activity. Serves as an expert in test development, scoring, research, and quantitative analyses. Develops software applications, programming, and syntax for report generation, statistical analyses, and graphic representations. Conducts quality assurance on scores, item functioning, and psychometric properties of exams. Drafts research reports. Ensures validity, reliability, and psychometric soundness of certification exams, using established industry and best practices.
- Conduct ongoing analysis of data systems. Review data management plans, revisions, and specifications and provide feedback. Plan and lead research (e.g., job analysis, validation, survey sampling, speededness and readability, test security, calibration, equating) to enhance exam performance, customer services, and product line as well as inform strategic planning. Monitor and evaluate item performance, differential item functioning, item drift, and exam psychometrics.
- Program for advanced statistical analyses using software programs (e.g., SAS, SPSS, Winsteps, R, SQL). Create and implement report generation, data collection, and sampling plans; develop conceptual frameworks for research and analyses; and recommend and adapt analytical and statistical methods. Identify strategies to generate useful feedback for examinees. Draw conclusions from research and make recommendations. Provide results, conclusions, and visuals and present to internal and external stakeholders (e.g., Executive Leadership, Boards of Directors, Commissions/Councils, program staff, governmental agencies, members of credentialed organizations). Travel as needed to deliver presentations at various venues or to meet with potential or current stakeholders.
- Plan and lead test development activities (e.g., standard setting, item and exam performance, exam field testing, form building). Facilitate focus groups, prepare meeting materials, review materials created by colleagues, analyze data, and write technical research reports and summaries. Coordinate with colleagues, subject matter experts, and vendors.
- Ensure compliance with industry best practice and accreditation requirements of ANCC certification programs. Maintain all necessary documentation in support of accreditation requirements. Establish data quality standards in collaboration with program staff. Troubleshoot issues and data errors. Consult with program staff on data preparation and data coding problems and assist in developing means for correcting the problems. Propose tools and resources to support research activity and enhance data system operations. Collaborate with ANA IT staff to evaluate and implement potential enhancements, to resolve quality assurance issues, and to ensure data systems are operational. Perform functional, cost-benefit, and risk analysis to support design changes. Assess risks and recommend mitigation strategies.
- Perform other duties as assigned to support the department’s objectives and strategic goals.
Master’s degree (Ph.D. preferred) in industrial-organizational (I/O) psychology, testing and measurement, psychometrics, mathematics, research and statistics, or related field, with emphasis on quantitative analyses.
Related Work Experience
Five years of professional experience. Two years of assessment development, psychometrics, data management and analyses, and technical report writing.
- Research design and completion
- Data collection, utilization, validation, security
- Data management and visualization
- Advanced data analysis (e.g., scaling and equating [CTT or IRT], simulation, sampling)
- Choosing and applying appropriate analysis techniques
- Test construction, development of alternative items, and test validation
- Meeting facilitation
- Oral and written communication
- Advanced use of office computer software (e.g., Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and database and statistical software (e.g., SAS, SPSS, R, SQL)
- Analytical thinking
- Technical documentation and report writing
- Producing concise, high-level summaries and briefings to non-technical audiences
- Identifying and using emerging technologies
Additional QualificationsAbility to teach others and give professional feedback; organize, manage, and complete multiple ongoing projects and tasks; accurately attend to details; adapt to changing priorities and work demands; take initiative; work autonomously with limited supervision; and work collaboratively and effectively within a team.