Association of American Medical Colleges
Location: Washington, DC
Who we are:
The Association of American Medical Colleges is a not-for-profit association dedicated to transforming health care by supporting the entire spectrum of medical education, medical research, and patient care conducted by our member institutions. We are dedicated to the communities we serve and steadfast in our goal to improve the health of all. The AAMC strives to make a positive impact not only in your career, but in your life. We offer a comprehensive benefits package which features:
- Significant employer 403(b) contribution
- Public transportation subsidy
- Generous paid time off program
- Tuition reimbursement
- Wellness program that includes: discounted gym membership, onsite yoga and sponsored sports teams
Why us, why now?
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) introduced a new version of the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) in 2015. Like the previous version of the MCAT exam, the new exam tests concepts in biology, chemistry, and physics, along with verbal reasoning skills. The new exam adds testing in biochemistry, psychology and sociology, and tests scientific and verbal reasoning skills in more complex ways.
The AAMC is looking for a Manager of MCAT Validation Research to work closely with medical schools in a research collaborative evaluating the predictive validity, use, fairness, and impact of the new MCAT exam in medical school admissions. Within the AAMC, the Manager is an integral member of the MCAT research team, leading research on the predictive validity of MCAT scores, and reports to the Director of MCAT research. The Manager will also lead validation research on the sound use of MCAT scores in student selection in the context of mission-based, holistic review, paying careful attention to the factors that contribute to achievement gaps and group differences in MCAT scores for students from different sociodemographic backgrounds. The Manager will use findings from this research to develop resources and tools that help medical schools identify students, including those from educationally and economically disadvantaged backgrounds, who likely to succeed in medical school and help contribute to schools’ missions, goals, and diversity interests. The Manager will also manage vendors and AAMC colleagues in carrying out this research.
How will you make an impact?
- Work with other MCAT researchers, admission officers, and technical advisors to identify the most meaningful research questions and determine the research designs appropriate for various projects.
- Design and conduct criterion-related research on the associations of MCAT scores with medical student performance outcomes overall and by sociodemographic background.
- Design and conduct evaluation research on the fairness, impact, and use of MCAT scores in medical school admissions.
- Lead and conduct empirical analyses, including descriptive statistics, trends, regression analyses, quasi-experimental analyses, and meta-analysis.
- Provide project oversight to ensure timely and accurate completion of data collections, analyses, and reports.
- Supervise the recruiting, data collections, and other work involved in the validation research.
- Help the AAMC meet its obligations with respect to industry standards for validation research.
- Publish research findings in peer-reviewed journals.
- Prepare data summaries in the form of internal reports, presentations, visual displays, white papers, and other materials for non-technical audiences.
- Build effective storylines and materials for presentations that summarize the findings from the validity research agenda in interesting, digestible formats that are maximally useful to nontechnical audiences.
- Develop and deliver presentations that are engaging and that maintain or improve the credibility of the MCAT program.
What will you bring to the role?
- A Master’s degree is required for this role, a Doctoral degree is preferred
- A minimum of 8 years related work experience is required, in addition to 1‐3 years supervisory experience or experience leading a specialized program
- Graduate-level training in education, psychology, industrial/organizational psychology or sociology, with an emphasis on measurement research, evaluation research, higher education research, or education policy research.
- Experience crafting and conducting applied research that speaks to real world problems in higher education or secondary education or the non-profit sector.
- Proven expertise in research design and statistical techniques for evaluating programs and policies.
- Skill at analyzing, synthesizing, displaying, and summarizing data and other information pertaining to the validity of tests and their use in admissions or selection including meta-analysis to summarize findings across studies or cohorts.
- Skill at writing research plans, results, and summaries for various internal and external audiences that vary in their level of technical expertise.
- Advanced skill in statistical analysis software (e.g., STATA, SAS, SPSS, R); Experience in STATA is a plus.
- The ability to display complex data in simple, visual displays is required.
- Experience managing people, including recruitment, hiring, and performance management.
- Strong problem recognition and resolution skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills are required.
- Excellent project management skills are critical.
If a bachelor’s degree is required, related work experience may be substituted in some positions. One year of college course work at an accredited institution is equivalent to one year of related work experience.
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The AAMC is committed to the policy of an equal employment opportunity in recruitment, hiring, career advancement, and all other personnel practices. The AAMC will not discriminate on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, genetic information, disability, past or current military service, or any other legally protected characteristic.
Please apply at