Location: New York, NY; Richmond, VA; or McLean, VA
At Capital One, we’re building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding. Principal Associate, Data Science
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Data is at the center of everything we do. As a startup, we disrupted the credit card industry by individually personalizing every credit card offer using statistical modeling and the relational database, cutting edge technology in 1988! Fast-forward a few years, and this little innovation and our passion for data has skyrocketed us to a Fortune 100 company and a leader in the world of data-driven decision-making.
As a Data Scientist on Capital One’s People Analytics team, you’ll be on the leading edge of applying analytics to talent, combining machine learning and social science to build strategies that expand Capital One’s talent advantage.
The People Analytics Center of Excellence at Capital One is a 75 person cross-functional team of analysts, consultants, and data scientists. The People Analytics Talent Assessment & Analytics team builds models that help Capital One assess and select great talent. We partner with vendors to implement world class assessment solutions for the business, as well as develop our own. We derive insights, build models and develop strategies using Python, AWS, and other open-source technology. We deliver analytics to internal customers in intelligent and real time custom web applications.
In this role, you will: Build models and perform analyses centered on helping Capital One assess and select great talent.
These could include:
- Building custom models to assess quality of hire for a given function or more broadly, all in service of developing better candidate assessment solutions
- Optimizing each aspect of our recruiting operation from assessing, selecting and hiring candidates to sourcing & engaging them.
- Supporting our efforts to deploy assessment technologies using best in class fairness methods.
- Leverage a broad stack of technologies — Python, AWS, GitHub RedShift, and more — to reveal the insights hidden within huge volumes of recruiting data
- Build predictive models through all phases of development, from design through training, evaluation, validation, and implementation
- Flex your interpersonal skills to translate the complexity of your work into tangible business outcomes
The Ideal Candidate is
- Innovative: You continually research and evaluate emerging technologies. You stay current on published state-of-the-art methods, technologies, and applications and seek out opportunities to apply them.
- Creative: You thrive on bringing definition to big, undefined problems. You love asking questions and pushing hard to find answers. You’re not afraid to share a new idea.
- Technical: You’re comfortable with open-source languages and are passionate about developing further. You have hands-on experience developing data science solutions using open-source tools and cloud computing platforms.
- Statistically-minded: You’ve built models, validated them, and backtested them. You know how to interpret a confusion matrix or a ROC curve. You have experience with clustering, classification, sentiment analysis, time series, NLP and deep learning.
Bachelor’s Degree plus 5 years of experience in data analytics, or Master’s Degree plus 3 years in data analytics, or PhD
At least 1 year of experience in open source programming languages for large scale data analysis
At least 1 year of experience with machine learning
At least 1 year of experience with relational databases
Master’s Degree in “STEM” field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics) plus 3 years of experience in data analytics, or PhD in “STEM” field (Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics)
At least 1 year of experience working with AWS
At least 1 year experience with NLP
At least 3 years’ experience in Python, Scala, or R
At least 3 years’ experience with machine learning
At least 3 years’ experience with SQL
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City’s Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia’s Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at RecruitingAccommodation@capitalone.com. All information you provide will be kept confidential and will be used only to the extent required to provide needed reasonable accommodations.
For technical support or questions about Capital One's recruiting process, please send an email to Careers@capitalone.com
Capital One does not provide, endorse nor guarantee and is not liable for third-party products, services, educational tools or other information available through this site.
Capital One Financial is made up of several different entities. Please note that any position posted in Canada is for Capital One Canada, any position posted in the United Kingdom is for Capital One Europe and any position posted in the Philippines is for Capital One Philippines Service Corp. (COPSSC).