Human Resources Research Organization (HumRRO)
HumRRO is a nationally recognized, non-profit applied research and consulting organization, established in 1951 and headquartered in Alexandria, VA with offices in Louisville, KY; Minneapolis, MN; and Monterey, CA. We provide our clients with customized solutions for complex business, HR, educational, and organizational challenges. Our areas of expertise include personnel selection and classification, education research and evaluation, human capital management, measurement and analytics, talent development, leadership development and evaluation, employment research, policy analysis, survey research, and professional credentialing. We work with a diverse array of public- and private-sector clients, including the Departments of Defense and Homeland Security and several other civilian federal agencies; local and state government agencies; Fortune 500 companies; and non-profit organizations.
Our employees enjoy a highly collaborative and supportive environment that fosters innovation, ethical practice, and outstanding customer service. HumRRO offers its employees competitive salaries, outstanding health care and retirement benefits, flexible work options, annual professional development support, and an enriching environment in which to focus or diversify their talents and contribute to the benefit of our clients, society, and science.
We seek one or more experienced individuals to manage a group of scientist-practitioners who conduct applied research and consult in our core areas of (a) industrial-organizational (I-O) psychology and (b) educational research and measurement. General activities include several, but not necessarily all, of the following: development, validation, and evaluation of a various assessment types; application of sophisticated analytic techniques to high-stakes student, employee, and credentialing test data; job analysis/competency modeling; alignment studies; policy analysis; and advising clients on recruiting and selection procedures.
Primary responsibilities involve leading and performing billable project work (approximately 70% of time), staff management (approximately 20% time), and support for business development (approximately 10% of time).
Billable project work involves:
- leading project teams and providing technical guidance to junior staff members
- designing research studies; designing and carrying out data collection activities to support applied research, including appropriate handling and storage of sensitive information
- interacting directly with clients and managing client relationships
- providing expert technical advice to clients
- preparing, writing, and editing project deliverables (e.g., technical reports, briefing slides, assessment materials)
- being a part of one or more project teams
Staff management involves:
- working with staff to develop their technical, project management, and client management skills
- providing performance feedback to staff
- making work assignments and providing guidance on those assignments
- reviewing the quality of deliverables and interim products for projects directed by staff in the group
- working with project directors and other managers to allocate staff across projects
- communicating/coordinating with other managers and senior leadership
- identifying the need for, helping recruit, and selecting new hires
Support for business development involves:
- coordinating with business development division to identify, review, and pursue business opportunities
- leading proposal teams
- writing proposals to win work and presenting proposals to potential clients
- establishing and maintaining contacts with current sponsors to obtain continuation and expansion of contracts
- participating in networking activities (e.g., professional luncheons or conferences, active participation in professional or sponsor associations)
- contributing to the maintenance and expansion of HumRRO's client base
Each Manager reports to a Division Director.
Doctoral degree or equivalent experience in industrial-organizational (I-O) psychology, educational measurement/research, or closely related field
- 10+ years post graduate experience
- Demonstrated skill in managing staff and working as part of a team
- Experience working with operational high-stakes assessment programs (e.g., employee selection and promotion, certification/licensure, or educational testing)
- Experience writing winning proposals for applied research and consulting contracts
- Demonstrated skill in planning, conducting, and managing applied R&D and consulting activities
- Mastery of concepts, principles, and practices related to I-O psychology or educational research/measurement
Experience working in a billable consulting environment is a plus.
Excellent interpersonal and oral communication skills and professional/technical writing skills. Travel is largely dependent on contract requirements and conference activity, but typically is less than 15% of time.
This position is located in HumRRO's Alexandria, VA headquarters office, or in our Louisville, KY or Minneapolis, MN satellite offices.
All qualified applications will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, medical condition, or disability. EEO/AA Employer/Vet/Disabled.
Please apply at www.humrro.org.